Miles Franklin Literary Award 2016 Shortlist announced
The shortlisted titles are:
- Hope Farm (Peggy Frew, Scribe)
- Leap (Myfanwy Jones, A&U)
- Black Rock White City (A S Patric, Transit Lounge)
- Salt Creek (Lucy Treloar, Pan Macmillan)
- The Natural Way of Things (Charlotte Wood, A&U).
The shortlist, chosen from a longlist of nine. Each shortlisted author receives $5000. The winner, who receives $60,000, will be announced at the opening night of the Melbourne Writers Festival on 26 August.
The judging panel comprises Neville; journalist Murray Waldren; bookseller Lindy Jones; author, editor and Queensland Writers Centre founding chair Craig Munro; and Flinders University emeritus professor Susan Sheridan.
The Miles Franklin Literary Award is Australia’s most prestigious literature prize. Established through the will of My Brilliant Career author, Miles Franklin, the prize is awarded each year to a novel which is of the highest literary merit and presents Australian life in any of its phases.